Thursday, May 8, 2014

Here's to a great three and a half years!

Today, on the eve of graduation, I realize again how blessed I am. I've spent 3 and 1/2 years here in Fort Worth pursuing a Master degree. God has changed my plans multiple times and brought me through seasons of immense blessing and seasons of frustration. There were days when I said to myself, "I'm either going to quit school or cut my hair." Now that I'm at the end, I'm glad I chose to cut my hair. :)

I started this journey with the plan of getting 20 hours needed for a job. However, after studying for a semester, I decided I wanted a degree and Master of Arts seemed the way to go... It was shorter. About a year and a half in, though, I realized that I wanted to do doctoral work...which meant changing to the dreaded MDIV. There were multiple times when I questioned God, asking why I was still here when I could be on the other side of the world in my beloved India. One time, while praying about my future, I realized that God had a reason for me staying in Fort Worth. See, I had some rough edges that needed to be taken care of. I had lessons to learn inside and outside of the classroom.

And learn I did. I learned how to avoid split infinitives and pronouns with no antecedents. I learned how to do a bibliography correctly, analyze books, and argue my point. But more importantly, I learned how sit with a friend while she cried on my shoulder. I learned how to walk away from something painful with my head held high. I learned how to draw near to God when the world outside didn't make sense. I learned how to love people, even when they hurt me. I learned how to encourage and equip others. I became a better writer and in all honesty, a better person.

I've met friends from all over the world. I've been blessed to get to know people at University of Texas at Arlington and to meet international students from all over the world here at my school. I have met folks who have travelled the same paths that I have and their friendships have strengthed me beyond measure. I have had professors who have pushed me towards excellence and met friends who have changed me for good (insert Wicked song here). I am blessed and I am thankful.

So here's to a fantastic three and a half years. Here's to each person who has impacted me and changed me. Here's to my fantastic friends at UTA who have allowed me to live life with them. Here's to my professors who modeled  academic excellence, strength of character, and deep humility. Here's to my coworkers who worked side by side with me while we dealt with immigration issues and enjoyed Bollywood Friday. Here's to church friends who have sharpened me and encouraged me. Here's to crossfit friends who have pushed me beyond what I thought physically possible.

Here's to those close friends who the Lord brought into my life to sharpen me. Those who have walked by my side in the rain and in the sunshine. Those who have allowed me to cry on their shoulders. Those who have listened to my excited, nerdy ramblings and loved me in spite of them.

And here's to whatever is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment