With the very real possibility that I will be far, far away next Christmas, I thought it only fitting to take a moment and jot down why Christmas in central Texas is so special.
1. Caroling on a clear night beneath the huge, starry Texas sky. Singing favorite Christmas songs while filling neighbors and friends' evening with a surprise blessing.
2. Speed scrabble with the family.
3. Long walks on crisp winter evenings with mom and dad.
4. Mexican food for Christmas Eve.
5. Greenburg smoked turkey from Tyler, TX (complete with leftover turkey and swiss sandwiches AND, if I'm lucky, some turkey leftovers to take back to north Texas with me)
6. LOTS of skyping with friends and family all over the world. :D (BTW, this tradition will most likely continue... I'll just be one of the ones skyped in....)
7. Watching some new action movie with my brother in theaters...sometimes, we even watch two...
8. Going through the must-see Christmas movie list- While You Were Sleeping, It's a Wonderful Life, and usually either The Grinch or A Christmas Carol.
9. Last minute Christmas shopping with my brother.
10. The simple Christmas Eve candlelight service (complete with a little girl yelling, "Yay!!!" after we sang Oh, Come All Ye Faithful)
11. Reading the Christmas story before we open presents.
12. Inviting our friend from Morocco to join us for Christmas lunch.
I am blessed.
1. Caroling on a clear night beneath the huge, starry Texas sky. Singing favorite Christmas songs while filling neighbors and friends' evening with a surprise blessing.
2. Speed scrabble with the family.
3. Long walks on crisp winter evenings with mom and dad.
4. Mexican food for Christmas Eve.
5. Greenburg smoked turkey from Tyler, TX (complete with leftover turkey and swiss sandwiches AND, if I'm lucky, some turkey leftovers to take back to north Texas with me)
6. LOTS of skyping with friends and family all over the world. :D (BTW, this tradition will most likely continue... I'll just be one of the ones skyped in....)
7. Watching some new action movie with my brother in theaters...sometimes, we even watch two...
8. Going through the must-see Christmas movie list- While You Were Sleeping, It's a Wonderful Life, and usually either The Grinch or A Christmas Carol.
9. Last minute Christmas shopping with my brother.
10. The simple Christmas Eve candlelight service (complete with a little girl yelling, "Yay!!!" after we sang Oh, Come All Ye Faithful)
11. Reading the Christmas story before we open presents.
12. Inviting our friend from Morocco to join us for Christmas lunch.
I am blessed.

No comments:
Post a Comment