My name is Anna.
Somewhere along the line, I discovered I enjoyed learning the meaning of
names... I think that developed as I spent some time in India where names are
actually a word in Hindi or Sanskrit or insert one of many other local
languages here. I knew a person named moon. My landlady's name was heavy rain.
Some shared the name of their deity. Some bore the name of a cherished
characteristic like truth or wisdom. And then I look at my own name. Anna. Most
name guides will tell you that Anna means graceful.
I grew up wishing I was graceful. I am a tall girl who is naturally a bit broad. I've struggled with weight and height and build since I was the tallest person in my sixth grade class. I have terrible posture and in all honesty, graceful has never been one of the attributes I would use to describe myself.
And one day, when I was in a bad mood, I said that to my mom. "Why on earth would you call me graceful?! I am so opposite of that!"
To which my incredibly wise mother said, "Maybe it wasn't meant to be a physical attribute. Maybe, just maybe, you are supposed to be full of grace."
I grew up wishing I was graceful. I am a tall girl who is naturally a bit broad. I've struggled with weight and height and build since I was the tallest person in my sixth grade class. I have terrible posture and in all honesty, graceful has never been one of the attributes I would use to describe myself.
And one day, when I was in a bad mood, I said that to my mom. "Why on earth would you call me graceful?! I am so opposite of that!"
To which my incredibly wise mother said, "Maybe it wasn't meant to be a physical attribute. Maybe, just maybe, you are supposed to be full of grace."
Full of grace.
So that is how I have tried to live my life. I want to be full of grace. I want to be a fragrance that lingers long after I am gone. Not so that you will look at me...but so that you will look above.
So that is how I have tried to live my life. I want to be full of grace. I want to be a fragrance that lingers long after I am gone. Not so that you will look at me...but so that you will look above.
Because of what my
Lord did, I hope that my steps are continually filled with grace...the grace
that comes with a life completely surrendered...a life that says "I am the
Lord's servant. May your word be to me be fulfilled”
So that no matter where I go, I can be
stepping gracefully.
No comments:
Post a Comment